Home | Ecumenism | Duties
Duties of All Catholics
- A permanent renewal of the Church in greater fidelity to her vocation; such
renewal is the driving-force of the movement toward unity.
- Conversion of heart, as the faithful try to live holier lives according to the
Gospel, for it is unfaithfulness of the members to Christ's gift which causes
- Prayer in common, because "change of heart and holiness of life, along with
public and private prayer for the unity of Christians, should be regarded as
the soul of the whole ecumenical movement, and merits the name "spiritual
- Fraternal knowledge of each other.
- Ecumenical formation, of the faithful and especially of priests.
- Dialogue… and meetings among Christians of the different churches and
- Collaboration among Christians in various areas of service to mankind -
'human service' is the idiomatic phrase".
Ecumenical Duties of Parishes
- "Within the dioceses, parishes should be encouraged to participate in ecumenical
initiatives on their own level and, where possible to set up groups which are
responsible to carry out these activities."
- "They should remain in close contact with the diocesan authorities,exchanging
information and experience with them and with other parishes and other groups."
Ecumenism in the Life of Catholic Laity
- Where ecumenical work is not being done, or not being done effectively, Catholics
will seek to promote it. Where it is being opposed or hampered by sectarian attitudes
and activities that lead to even greater divisions among those who confess the name
of Christ, they should be patient and persevering."
- "Concern for restoring unity pertains to the whole Church, faithful and clergy alike.
It extends to everyone, according to the potential of each, whether it be exercised
in daily living or in theological and historical studies."
- "The Second Vatican Council teaches that the restoration of full visible communion
among all Christians is the will of Christ and essential to the life of the Catholic
- "…It is the task of all, of lay people as well as ordained: "all the faithful are
called upon to make a personal commitment towards promoting increasing communion with
- "The Second Vatican Council clearly asked Catholics to reach out in love to all other
Christians with a charity that desires and works actively to overcome in truth whatever
divides them from one another."